Exploratory Essay Reflection

I had an essay ready to give this morning by 10 in the morning today, but I felt that something was missing from that essay. It was like I had my argument there, but I still felt unsure, uncertain and insecure about my writing, so I decided to write an essay from scratch the morning of, which was this.

Originally, I wanted to write about how displacement and condensation is found in Oates’s story. After getting to the 2nd body paragraph, I started feeling uncertain about what I was writing. My argument was there, so was my evidence and my thesis was solid. Then, I thought more about the story and felt like what I had was missing a chunk of something; my essay felt shallow. This planted the seeds for uncertainty in me and prompted me to make a new thesis, which was the one I had for this essay. I decided to focus on how displacement and condensation appeared in the story and what the dream said about Connie, as a character, in general.

Personally, I found Connie relatable as a character, which is why I decided to focus more on her and how Freudian concepts bring more of her character to life. I, too, in my adolescence thought of my family as annoying- always restricting what I could and couldn’t do, so I understood that aspect of her character. I also knew that when I was younger, I never liked to be wrong, which is where I drew that conclusion about Connie. Connie is all about appearance over substance and to appear right and perfect in every situation does seem like something someone as vain as her would want, which makes it even more scary when we’re wrong. Perhaps I should’ve had this change of heart earlier…